Before every visit to my parents in San Diego, my Mother asks if there are any special meal requests from Joe or I. Without hestiation, there are three that are required! 1. In-n-Out Burger (It’s a West Coast Thing). 2. Chilaquiles, a Mexican peasant dish that layers fried corn tortillas and stewed tomatoes, then topped with eggs and cheese. (Yum!) And finally 3. Huevos y Chorizo Burrito, which is what brings me here today.
What do I love about Huevos y Chorizo Burritos? The luscious texture of the scrambled eggs mixed with the spicy Mexican sausage wrapped in a warm flour tortilla. What’s not to love! Traditionally Huevos y Chorizo is made with papas … aka potato. In an effort to be a little more health conscious my mother changed up the recipe and switched the potato for some onion, carrots and cauliflower. We love this change because it now provides the burrito a little crunch.
Enough chit chatting about this Burrito, let’s get cooking!
If I had a picture of all the ingredients here is what it would include – Olive Oil, Onion, Carrot, Cauliflower, Eggs, Chorizo, and Flour Tortillas.
Cook vegetables until lightly browned and onion is translucent.
Break the chorizo into crumbles and add to the pan with the vegetables. Both pork and beef chorizo are delicious but if you were to ask me to pick one I would go for the beef chorizo.
You are going to cook the chorizo until it is thoroughly cooked and looks like this.
Add the Eggs.
Scramble it up!
Divide egg mixture amongst 4 soft taco size tortillas.
Roll your burrito up!
Here are the complete instructions!
- 1.5 tbls olive oil
- ¼ of large onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, sliced into coins
- ¼ head of cauliflower, diced
- 8oz beef chorizo, casing removed (pork chorizo is a good alternative)
- 6 egg whites
- 4 flour tortillas, soft taco size
- Heat a 12 inch skillet on medium heat.
- Add 1.5 tbls olive oil into skillet and heat.
- Add all the vegetables into the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes. You want the vegetables to lightly brown and the onion to be translucent.
- Add the chorizo into the skillet and break up into crumbles (you can do this with your hands as you add it to the pan but it does get messy or with a spatula once the chorizo is in the pan). Cook the chorizo for about 6 minutes until meat is cooked through.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl to whip in some air and make them fluffy. Then add them into the pan with the chorizo and vegetables. Cook for about 4-6 minutes depending on how firm you prefer your eggs.
- Place the tortillas in between a clean kitchen towel (or a tortilla warmer if you have one) and heat in the microwave on high for 30-40 seconds.
- To assemble the burritos, lay a tortilla on a plate, spoon ¼ of the egg and chorizo mixture down the middle, roll up the burrito and then enjoy!